This past Thursday, June 21, was the first official day of summer. It’s a great opportunity to revamp our old routines and renew our confidence in our smiles. If you struggle with bad breath, which just about everyone does at some point or another, then now is a great time to take steps to address it.
In addition to visiting our dentists for a checkup, here are some tips you can implement immediately to see if it reduces bad breath:
- Practice great dental hygiene. Sometimes bad breath is simply a result of food and plaque trapped between your teeth. Bacteria in your mouth is contained in plaque, and the bacteria loves food stuck on your teeth. As they feast on the food debris, they release smelly compounds. Brush your teeth 2-3 times per day and floss once every day to reduce food, plaque and bacteria.
- Get routine cleanings and exams. Although a home routine of brushing and flossing is essential, it should be accompanied by routine cleanings and exams for the best oral health results. Our experienced hygienists remove plaque buildup and polish your teeth with specialized dental tools and techniques.
- Don’t smoke or use tobacco. Looking for one more reason to kick the habit? Smoking and chewing tobacco are definitely causes of bad breath. Smoking can dull your sense of smell, so you may not even realize how often the habit causes odor.
- Prevent dry mouth. Saliva flushes and naturally cleans the oral cavity, helping to keep bacteria and odor at bay. When your mouth is dry, you may experience bad breath. Talk to our dentists about what may be causing your dryness. Possible solutions include drinking water, chewing sugarless gum to stimulate saliva flow, and eating crunchy vegetables and fruit to stimulate saliva flow.
Still have questions about freshening your breath and rejuvenating your oral health this summer? If so, please call boca Dental & Braces at one of our two office locations –
- S. Eastern & Russell: 702-710-8460
- N. Eastern & Bonanza: 702-710-8686